shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : $0.00
View Cart Check Out

How to make a complaint

How to make a complaint


Olympic FC is a community sporting organisation that is committed to a safe environment for our members that allows them to make friends and have fun. No-one should be subjected to discrimination, harassment or abuse. If you believe this behaviour is occurring, you have every right to make a complaint.


Olympic FC has a Member Protection Policy and Code of Conduct as well as processes to deal with complaints which include the following options:

  • Trying to sort the matter out yourself
  • Informal discussions with the other party
  • Mediation
  • Lodging a formal written complaint with the club
  • Appealing if you think the outcome was biased or the process didn’t follow Olympic’s procedures
  • Referring or lodging a complaint with an external authority e.g. police, child protection


Generally you have a choice in how you’d like your complaint dealt with, although in some cases the club has a duty of care and is required to act, irrespective of how you would like the complaint handled.


Where to complain:


  • State issue – Football Queensland (


If you are worried that a child is at risk, report your suspicions immediately to police or Child Safety Services.


If the issue is serious (e.g. sexual harassment, physical assault) you can either lodge a complaint to the club or contact:

  • Police department to report allegations of assault or to request assistance
  • Anti-discrimination agency or the Australian Human Rights Commission


What to expect:


Olympic FC will:

  • take all complaints seriously and act promptly
  • Listen to both sides of the story
  • Treat people fairly
  • Keep everyone informed
  • Maintain confidentiality
  • Take disciplinary action as appropriate
  • Make sure the person complaining is not victimised.


You can expect to be:

  • Identified – but only to the person against whom you are making the complaint, the rest of the club will not be told
  • Requested to support your complaint by providing information about the incident e.g. what, where and when the behaviour occurred and what you did at the time, contact details of witnesses, evidence or documents (e.g. texts, emails)
  • Protected from victimisation


Where to get help:


Although Olympic FC will deal with complaints external help is available.


Human Rights, Equal Opportunity and Anti-Discrimination Agencies – free confidential advice.


Child Protection Agencies – offer advice and handle reporting of child abuse/suspicion of harm against children.


Police – investigate allegations of physical or sexual assault. Investigate suspicions of child abuse. Conduct criminal record checks. Provide application forms for national police checks.


Community legal and mediation services – provide low (or no) fee mediation for sport’s club complaints. Confidential mediation and negotiation.


Queensland Department of Sport and Recreation – implement state government’s strategies for sport. Help in the development of child safe, harassment-free sporting environments. Do not directly handle complaints nor investigate disputes.