COACH code of behaviour
Safety and Health of Participants
- Place the safety and welfare of the participants above all else.
- Be aware of and support the sport’s injury management plans and return to play guidelines.
- Help each person (athlete, official, etc) to reach their potential. Respect the talent, developmental stage and goals of each person and encourage them with positive and constructive feedback.
- Encourage and support opportunities for people to learn appropriate behaviours and skills.
- Support opportunities for participation in all aspects of the sport.
- Treat each participant as an individual.
- Obtain appropriate qualifications and keep up-to-date with the latest coaching practices and the principles of growth and development of participants.
Honour the sport
- Act within the rules and spirit of your sport.
- Promote fair play over winning at any cost.
- Respect the decisions of officials, coaches and administrators.
- Show respect and courtesy to all involved with the sport.
- Display responsible behaviour in relation to alcohol and other drugs.
- Act with integrity and objectivity, and accept responsibility for your decisions and actions.
- Ensure your decisions and actions contribute to a harassment-free environment.
- Wherever practical, avoid unaccompanied and unobserved one-on-one activity (when in a supervisory capacity or where a power imbalance exists) with people under the age of 18.
- Ensure that any physical contact with another person is appropriate to the situation and necessary for the person’s skill development.
- Be honest and do not allow your qualifications or coaching experience to be misrepresented.
- Never advocate or condone the use of illicit drugs or other banned performance enhancing substances or methods.
- Never participate in or advocate practices that involve match fixing.
- Respect the rights and worth of every person, regardless of their age, race, gender, ability, cultural background, sexuality or religion.
- Do not tolerate abusive, bullying or threatening behaviour.