shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : $0.00
View Cart Check Out

Westfield FFA Cup Rd7 Review: Olympic and Moreton Bay Tussle to the Final Whistle

Report: Phil Davis
Additional Words: Braden Asujamaa
Images: Patrick Kearney

It had everything you’d expect from knockout football. Open attacking play, goals, penalty saves and even threatened to boil over on numerous occasions. However, it was Moreton Bay who have progressed to the Round of 32 after defeating Olympic FC 4-2 in their Rd7 Westfield FFA Cup tie at Goodwin Park on Friday night.

Olympic went into the match full of confidence having won their last three matches convincingly, including their Round 6 FFA Cup tie with Redlands United 4-1. However, it was Moreton Bay who would shock the home side early with Riley Campbell opening the scoring just after the quarter hour mark. Campbell scored a neat goal against the run of play when he latched onto Alex Janovsky’s pin point ball over the top, rounding one defender before sliding his shot beyond Olympic keeper Tom Carroll into the bottom corner.

It proved to be enough to give the visitors the lead going into the break but Olympic responded well early in the second term, dominating possession and launching numerous attacking raids before Sam Cronin levelled the scores before the hour mark.

Olympic were awarded an indirect free kick from near the penalty spot after Jacob Mitchell was adjudged to have sat on the ball, preventing it from being played. Cronin converted the free kick on the second attempt after his initial attempt was blocked but the kick was taken again as United had encroached.

Four minutes later Danny Byrne dusted himself off to score from the spot leaving Olympic with only thirty minutes to negotiate for passage to the Round of 32.

But Moreton Bay had other ideas with Campbell leveling the contest on 69 minutes after the hosts had failed to clear Matt Capelo’s free kick into the box. The ball falling nicely for Campbell to finish off at close range.

Janovsky had the opportunity to put Jets ahead just moments later from the spot, after Olympic’s Tyler Wagstaffe had been adjudged to have brought down Declan Smith from behind. However, Carroll proved to be the hero on this occasion as chose the right direction and made the save. Carroll’s save looked to spark Olympic into gear as they again looked to dominate proceedings from the subsequent save.

With the game looking as though it would head to extra time, an unmarked Cameron Millar slotted home from 12 yards out when picking up Campbell’s neat through ball on the edge of the box. Carroll getting part of his body to the ball but unable to prevent it from trickling in at the far post with less than 10 minutes left on the clock.

Olympic went in search for an equaliser, with Carroll making a couple of forays up field and on one occasion involved in open play as he failed to retain possession, finding himself stranded as United strode forward. Fortunately for him his defence regained possession, allowing him to jog back to his goal.

Moreton Bay Coach Adam Piddick came on for Campbell near the end to bolster his defence, having made the recent switch from playing for Albany Creek.

With Olympic pressing to take the game into extra time, Matt Bryne’s lofty clearance for the visitors bounced favourably with Shane Stefanutto misjudging it and Declan Smith pouncing to sprint on to goal and putting the outcome beyond doubt deep in added time, with a low angled shot beyond Carroll inside the near post.

Olympic goalkeeper, Tom Carroll, was shattered by the final result, however it was his penalty save which kept Olympic in the contest heading into the final 10 minutes of the match. Shane Stefanutto has labelled Carroll as “the buy of the season” who says he was confident he knew which way Janovsky would aim from the penalty spot.

“I felt confident I knew which way he was going so I tried to stay still as long as possible to make him (Janovsky) make the first move. Then I just went after the shot and it was at a good height for me to save it.”

“I knew there was still a long way to go after the save and I knew both sides would have their opportunities, I’m just very gutted by the final result.”

Olympic coach Terry Kirkham will be hugely disappointed after his side’s recent good form in the league saw them enter this contest as favourites, but credit must go to Moreton Bay who have reached the Round of 32 for the first time in their history; doing it the hard way with away ties in all three of their preliminary rounds, albeit one being away to sister club Albany Creek at their shared home of Wolter Park.

The prospect of playing the likes of South Melbourne or Adelaide City at Wolter Park is just desserts for a team which has become a powerhouse of the Brisbane football scene despite humble beginnings and with some dogged outcomes so far, you wouldn’t put it past them to progress further.

Olympic must now turn their focus back to the league as they take on Western Pride at Goodwin Park on Friday night, with kick off at 8:30pm.

FB Media Stats:

Possession: 53% – 47%

Shots on target: 9 – 9

Shots off target: 8 – 0

Shots blocked: 3 – 2

Corners: 3 – 0

Free Kicks: 20 – 14

Penalties: 1 – 1

Offside: 1 – 2

Yellow Cards: 3 – 4

Red Cards: 0 – 0

Team Line-ups

Olympic FC: Carroll (gk), Jones, Stefanutto, Bow, Cronin, Ito, Close, Byrne, Cuminao, Wagstaffe. Psaros.

Subs: Mooney (rgk), Slaney, Zabel, Coyne, Cook.


Moreton Bay Utd: Thurtell (gk), Dickinson, Mitchell, Byrne, Capelo, Campbell, Lee, Janovsky, Strogusz, Smith, Mikula.

Subs: Atkins (rgk), Piddick, Ricketts, Millar, Dozzi.

Referee: Rebecca Durcau


Olympic FC 2  (Cronin 56′, Byrne 61’ pen)

Moreton Bay Utd 4  (Campbell 19’ , 69’ , Millar 81’ , Smith 90+5’ )

HT 0-1

Played at: Goodwin Park


Leave a Reply